Enrolling in a plan

  • Am I eligible to enroll in the health insurance plans?

      • International students are eligible to enroll in the insurance plan if: 1) you are engaged in educational activities; 2) you are temporarily located outside your home country as a non-resident alien; 3) you have not obtained permanent residency status in the U.S.; 4) you are enrolled in an associate, bachelor, master, or Ph.D. degree program at a university or other educational institution, with no fewer than six credit hours (unless the school’s full-time status requires less).
      • Visiting scholars, optional practical training (OPT) students and formal English as a second language program students with an F1 or J1 visa are eligible to enroll in Student Medicover insurance plans.
      • Eligible students who do enroll may also insure their dependents. Eligible dependents are the student’s legal spouse and dependent children under 26 years of age. Dependent eligibility expires concurrently with that of the insured student.


    Students must actively attend classes for at least the first 31 days after the date for which coverage is purchased, with the exception of international visiting scholars or those engaged in an optional practical training (OPT) program. Home study, correspondence, and online courses do not fulfill the eligibility requirement that the student actively attend classes. The six credit hour requirement is waived for Summer if the applicant was enrolled in this plan as a full-time student in the immediately preceding Spring term.

    The company maintains its right to investigate eligibility or student status and attendance records to verify that policy eligibility requirements have been met. If the company discovers that eligibility requirements have not been met, its only obligation is to refund the premium.

    U.S. citizens are not eligible for coverage as a student or dependent.

  • Are optional practical training (OPT) students eligible to enroll?

    Yes. If you’re on OPT, you are eligible to enroll in Student Medicover health insurance plans. You don’t have to actively attend classes during your OPT period.

  • What are the minimum and maximum days of coverage?

    You may purchase a minimum of 90 days and a maximum of one full policy year of coverage at a time.

  • What payment options does Student Medicover accept?

    All payments must be made online. We accept eCheck and most major credit cards, including Visa, MasterCard, Discover, American Express, JCB, and Diner’s Club.

  • Need help with insurance options and definitions?

    To compare and choose health insurance plans, please visit choose a plan. Confused with terminologies? We have helpful resources here for you

Waiving insurance

  • How can I waive insurance?

    • Visit www.studentmedicover.com to purchase an insurance plan that meets the minimum insurance requirements of your school.
    • Visit www.UHCSR.com to create an account and download your insurance card.
    • Submit your waiver application to your school before the waiver deadline.
      For detailed instructions, please visit How to Waive.
  • Do the Student Medicover plans meet the minimum insurance requirements of my school?

    Student Medicover strives to offer plans that are comprehensive and meet a multitude of minimum requirements. However, university requirements differ. To find out if your school accept Student Medicover’s plans, please contact us.

  • What can I do if my waiver application is denied?

    Please contact us immediately. Our customer service representatives will assist you if your waiver is denied for eligible reasons. You can always request a refund by sending the following documents to sm@smcovered.com or the Help Center:

    • Your legal name in English,
    • Your date of birth,
    • Your email address,
    • The insurance plan you purchased,
    • A statement such as “I would like to have a refund because my waiver got denied by my school” or a similar explanation of why your waiver got denied, and
    • Proof of a denied waiver application, such as a screenshot of an email from your school indicating that your waiver was denied.

Getting your insurance ID card

  • How to register a UHCSR account?

    Visit www.uhcsr.com and click “Login to My Account” in the top-right corner. Select the “Create Account” link. You may create your account five to seven business days after purchasing an insurance plan.

    UHCSR provides secure online access to coverage information, print-friendly insurance ID cards, and claims status, including associated correspondence.

    Click here to see how to create an account.

  • Where can I get an insurance ID card?

    You can view and print your insurance ID card or request a physical one from www.UHCSR.com. With the UHCSR mobile app, you can access your insurance ID card any time.

  • How can I request a physical insurance ID card?

    Log in to your UHCSR account. Click “Request Permanent ID Card” under “My Account.” Permanent ID cards are printed and mailed to the address on file the day after your request is made.

Getting medical services

  • What can I do if an in-network care provider cannot find my insurance information?

    Please request that the care provider contact the insurance company at 1-866-352-8632 (you can find this number on your insurance ID card, in the “for providers” section).

  • Can I receive services at student health centers?

    Yes. When you receive treatment at a student health center, deductibles and copays will be waived. Benefits will be paid at the preferred provider level of benefits when you receive treatment at a student health center. Some student health centers are not in-network providers. You may need to pay the bill yourself and file a reimbursement claim after your visit.

  • Are dental and vision insurance included?

    If you are under 19 years old, you can receive pediatric dental and vision benefits with our Supreme, Elite, Prime, and Choice insurance plans. However, all plans cover dental treatment made necessary by injury to sound, natural teeth only.

Getting vaccines

  • Are vaccines covered?

    Our Supreme, Elite, Prime, and Choice plans provide preventative benefits, including coverage for eligible MMR, TDAP, and chickenpox vaccines. To learn more, please refer to the preventative care services guideline.

  • Is HPV vaccine covered?

    Our Supreme, Elite, Prime and Choice plans provide preventative benefits, including coverage for eligible HPV vaccines received before the age of 45. To learn more, please refer to the preventative care services guideline.

  • How can I get vaccines?

    • Check the vaccine requirement of your school.
    • Visit smcovered.com/page/find-a-doctor, click “Preferred Provider Lookup”, enter your zip code, and click “Services and treatments > vaccines > adult vaccines > your vaccine”.
    • Make an appointment with the care provider before you visit to make sure they have the vaccine you need.
    • You can also visit your university health center or our in-network pharmacy clinics to get vaccines.
    • During your appointment, ask the care provider to contact the “For Provider” phone number on your insurance ID card to verify coverage.

Paying for medical services

  • How do I pay for my medical bills?

    If you bring your insurance ID with you while visiting an in-network doctor or hospital, there is no need for you to file a claim after your visit. Care providers will contact the insurance company first, and then send you the rest of the bill that you need to pay along with instructions for payment methods.

    If you visit an out-of-network doctor or hospital, you need to pay up front, and then file a reimbursement claim within 90 days after you receive the service.

  • How do I file a claim for my medical bills?

    If you need to file a claim, please send the following documents to UnitedHealthcare Student Resources within 90 days after you receive the service:

    • An itemized bill (please ask your doctor or hospital for it).
    • Proof of payment (a bank statement can be downloaded from your bank account).
    • A copy of your insurance card.

    For detailed instructions, please check “How to Make a Claim.”

Need help? Talk to us.

Kindness and patience are at the core of our customer support team. Our representatives will help you with any issues related with using your health insurance, doctor visits, downloading insurance IDs, and filing claims.

Contact Us